Bert Goens Learning Center
The Bert Goens Learning Center (BGLC) is a center based school for students with moderate and severe disabilities. We collaborate with Project Find, Van Buren ISD programs, and local districts in Van Buren to identify students who will benefit from the programs and services offered at the Bert Goens Learning Center as determined through the IEP process. All students of the BGLC must meet the Special Education Eligibility Requirements established by the State Of Michigan and by the Van Buren ISD. A student transferring to the BGLC from a similar program may be placed immediately following verification of his or her previous IEP. Students referred from local districts or transferring from dissimilar programs are subject to a screening process, the intent of which is to assure that the BGLC is the most appropriate educational setting for the student.
Our MissionSchool, family, and community working together to reach ever higher.
Our VisionThe Bert Goens Learning Center is a student-centered environment with a state of the art facility that promotes learning of life skills, academics, and technology.
- We believe in a team approach, involving staff, families, and community members to raise student achievement.
- We believe in creating programs that fit students instead of making students fit programs.
- We believe our students are children first and their impairment is secondary.
- We believe positive staff modeling leads to positive student behaviors.
- We believe in building on a students strengths and celebrating their successes.
- We believe in providing all students with the opportunity to make choices and actively participate in their lives.
- We believe in being a community model for finding creative ways to integrate our students productively into the community.
701 S. Paw Paw St.
Lawrence, MI 49064